Awards & Recognition
James Halliday Wine Companion
Purple Hands Wines
In 2013, Purple Hands Wines first entered the James Halliday Wine Companion and was awarded a 5 star rating and included in the Top 10 New 5 Star Wineries.
2015 saw Purple Hands Wines transition into a red 5 star winery. This is awarded to wineries regularly producing wines of exemplary quality and have at least two wines rated at 95 points or above, plus have had a five-star rating for the previous two years.
This 5 Star rating places Purple Hands Wine in the top 10% of wineries listed on Wine Companion.
James Halliday published a review of Purple Hands in 2011 and stated:
“Both the Shiraz and Grenache have a common theme of elegance, and a voice distinctly different to that of mainstream Barossa.”
– James Halliday Weekend Australian Magazine Oct 2011
In 2019, our 5 star rating continues and James wrote – “This is a partnership between Craig Stansborough, who provides the winemaking know-how and an 14ha vineyard of shiraz (northwest of Williamstown in a cooler corner of the southern Barossa) and Mark Slade, who provides the passion. Don’t ask me how this works – I don’t know – but I do know they are producing outstanding single vineyard wines (the grenache is contract-grown) of quite remarkable elegance.
After Five Wine Co.
The After Five Wine Co. range hit the 2019 Halliday Wine Companion for the first time and received rave reviews. Two of our wines,rated at 96 pts and one at 95 pts with the observation that “These ‘After Five’ wines have arrived on the marketplace in emphatic fashion.”
2019 Barossa Wine Show
Arguably the most prestigious regional wine show in Australia, Purple Hands Wines were amongst the biggest winemaking names from this world-famous region when the awards for the 43 Barossa Wine Show were announced at a Gala Dinner at Peter Lehmann Wines on Thursday 12 September 2019.
We are ecstatic after entering 11 wines and taking home 8 Gold medals, 1 Silver medal and 3 Trophies from the 2019 Barossa Wine Show. This includes the esteemed honour of having their ‘2018 After Five Wine Co. Serata’ chosen to enter the Barossa Cellar this year.
The results from the 2019 Barossa Wine Show for Purple Hands Wines include:
- The Cooperages 1912 Trophy, Most Successful Exhibitor – Small Producer
- The JBG Architects Trophy for Class 18 – Best Red Wine – Other Varietals : 2018 After Five Wine Co. Montepulciano
- The Barossa Cellar Trophy – The Chairman’s Selection : 2018 After Five Wine Co. Serata
- Gold Medal – 2018 After Five Wine Co. Shiraz
- Gold Medal – 2017 After Five Wine Co. Serata
- Gold Medal – 2018 After Five Wine Co. Serata
- Gold Medal – 2018 Colours of the South Rosso
- Gold Medal – 2018 Planta Circa Ancestor Vine Grenache
- Gold Medal – 2018 Purple Hands Old Vine Barossa Valley Grenache
- Gold Medal – 2018 After Five Wine Co. Aglianico
- Gold Medal – 2018 After Five Wine Co. Montepulciano
- Silver Medal – 2018 Purple Hands Barossa Valley Mataro-Grenache-Shiraz
Winemaker’s recognition from peers
Craig Stansborough was awarded the 2014 Barossa winemaker of the year by the Barons of the Barossa.
The Barons of Barossa was founded in 1974 by a group of influential Barossa wine industry personalities. Throughout the years, the focus of the Barons of Barossa has remained unchanged and it continues to proudly and enthusiastically support Barossa wine, viticulture, gastronomy, heritage and the arts.
Each year at the Declaration of Vintage one Barossa winemaker is awarded the Winemaker of the Year. This recognition showcases peer recognition of outstanding achievements throughout a solid career.